12 envelopes active dry yeast
cup lukewarm milk
1 teaspoon sugar
cup (1 stick) butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon salt
cup scaled milk
4 eggs, beaten
6 cups all-purpose flour
5 hard boiled eggs, dyed red with food coloring
1. In a small bowl proof yeast with cup milk and 1 teaspoon sugar.
2. In a large bowl combine butter (softened, cut into bits), sugar, lemon rind, aniseed, and salt. Add scaled milk (while still hot); stir well. Cool mixture to lukewarm. Add yeast mixture. Add 4 eggs and 2 cups flour; beat with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes. By hand mix in 2 cups flour and currants. Dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
3. Turn dough onto well-floured board; knead in 1 cups flour. Knead 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and satiny. Form dough into ball; place in greased bowl. Turn dough in bowl to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place 1 hours or until double in bulk.
4. Punch down dough. Divide into 3 equal pieces; shape each piece into 20-inch rope. Braid 3 dough ropes; form into circle. Press ends together. Place on greased baking sheet. Press dyed eggs into braid at intervals. Brush with melted butter. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk.
5. Bake in preheated 325 F oven 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on cake rack.